Assessment of 2010 Camino Reale DRI Application
Concern: There does NOT appear to be any need to expand the Urban Service Area (USA). Previous approvals provide ample capacity for growth needs beyond the next decade. Approval of USA expansion at this time would provide inappropriate precedent for further unneeded expansion (click on map to the right to enlarge).
Staff agrees: Current Urban Service Area has ample capacity through 2030. No expansion needed.
Future Land Use Element Policy FLU1.2.6: Orange County shall not support expansions of the Urban Service Area that indicate the project may result in sprawl.
According to Rule 9J-5 FAC, sprawl may be characterized by any of the following:
- uses in excess of demonstrated need
- designation of significant amounts of urban development in rural areas
- fails to maximize use of existing public facilities and services
- causes inefficient use of roads, law enforcement, fire and emergency, and government
- allows or designates urban development in radial, strip, ribbon or isolated patterns from existing urban development